The two sweeping trends in Modern Enterprise today are Machine Learning and Cloud Native. Our research shows that by 2020, most modern enterprise decision-makers will be focussed on scalable machine learning systems to meet their needs. Scalability is driven by cloud native, with docker based containers and Kubernetes playing a major role, and Python is the most sought-after language in the data science and machine learning communities. In fact, StackOverflow 2018 developer survey lists Python as the most wanted programming language. One of the interesting companies we are tracking (and some of Rishidot Research’s analysts use their OSS platform) in this area is Anaconda.
Anaconda as Modern Enterprise machine learning stack
Anaconda is the data science and machine learning platform for Python and R, used by more than 6 Million users worldwide. Some of the reasons for the success of the platform include:
- Open source
- Seamless user experience
- Package installation is easier
- Support for high-performance computing
- Better security model
and more. The very fact that it is a successful platform among developers highlights how the platform addresses the developer needs.
While the Anaconda platform for desktop handles the needs of individual developers well, the enterprise needs are different and requires:
- Scale – applications could scale thousands of nodes and across many clusters
- Monitoring – monitoring the infrastructure at this scale
- Governance – enforcing the governance policies to ensure security and regulatory compliance
- Security – ensuring the right permissions for the users while also enabling seamless collaboration
Anaconda Enterprise is their product focussed on these features providing the enterprise with a Data Science / Machine Learning platform that helps organizations deliver innovative products rapidly. Anaconda platform is being used by hundreds of organizations across multiple verticals making them one of the prominent players in the data science/machine learning vertical for the modern enterprise
What’s new in the recent release?
Anaconda’s recent release, Anaconda 5.2, is fine-tuned for modern enterprise workloads. Some of the updates include:
- Support for GPU at scale, up to a 1000 node cluster
- Support for cloud-native architectures with better support for Docker and Kubernetes
- Better job scheduling
- Integration with external Git
With this new release, Anaconda is prepared to deliver clear value to organizations moving to cloud-native environments and giving them a powerful and open platform for their Data Science and Machine Learning workloads.